Levi’s Shape What’s to Come Launch
I have a tendency to moan, especially about work. It’s just part of the 9 to 5 (or 9) humdrum of adult life. This week, I had some inspiration that has brought a halt to my moaning from an unlikely source – Levi’s. At their London flagship store, on an unexpectedly cold Tuesday evening, a group of six young women from all walks of life shared their inspirations, challenges and successes as part of the Shape What’s to Come launch.
The women, a group of ‘twenty-something trailblazers’ included…
- Art director Anna Murray, founder of design agency Patternity which specialises in the application of pattern to furniture and fashion, and textiles designer Grace Winteringham
- Social change campaigner Justice Williams, the youngest black woman in the UK to be awarded an MBE
- London-based Kristin Knox, the American author and founder of fashion blog theclotheswhisperer.co.uk. Kristin regularly lectures in art and fashion colleges around the UK
- Acclaimed DJ and songwriter Ikonika, a young Londoner who is crafting her own unique musical sound with unusual hooks influenced by dubstep
- Belfast-born Kathryn Ferguson, a self-taught filmmaker whose work has premiered at institutions including the ICA and the OnedotZero and Birds Eye View film festivals
The lively panel discussion hosted by Annie Mac kicked off new online community, ShapeWhatsToCome.com, that will give young women across the UK, USA and Japan a platform to connect, collaborate and learn from peers and mentors to help them progress both personally and professionally in pursuit of their passions. The debate was a taste of what I expect the site to embody – a knowledgeable set of ambassadors who’ve been there, done that and got the t-shirt ready to offer their advice and insights to fellow women in pursuit of their dreams.
ShapeWhatsToCome.com follows the August 2010 introduction of the revolutionary Levi’s® Curve ID fit system, based on shape, not size, to study more than 60,000 women’s body scans and listen to women around the world.
And to top it all off, an A-MAZING live acoustic set from The Noisettes. The super talented lead singer, Shingai Shoniwa will be joining actress Zooey Deschanel and singer/songwriter Janelle Monae to host live videocasts for that extra bit of inspiration.
The message on Tuesday was loud and clear – be passionate about what you do and don’t let anything stop you from achieving your dreams. So my first challenge is to moan a little less and do a little more. Oh and visit ShapeWhatsToCome.com.
Small but necessary print: I work at PR agency, Edelman and Levi’s® is one of our clients. [However, I do not work on Levi’s and attended this event in my blogger capacity!]